Monday, February 20, 2012

The Incredible Twenty Seven Million Boy

Hudson sitting out of laser tag! Boo!

As I write this I am sitting in the guesthouse in "Starbucks", the capitol city. We had to change our plane tickets and will fly home this Thursday. Hudson has a follow up appointment on Wednesday, hopefully all will be healing well and he will be cleared to fly home at that time.

Hudson's procedure was last Thursday, all went very well. I was so proud of him, he was so brave and at peace.  PTL.

Here is a recount of surgery day: We left at 8am to be there at 11am, then the procedure would be about 1pm. See, the thing about "Starbucks" is that the traffic is a nightmare. Take Penn Square/Quail Springs traffic at Christmas time and multiply it by 100. That is not even an exaggeration. You do more sitting than driving. We were advised to leave three hours early for traffic, thankfully it didn't take that long but of course that meant extra time to wait at the hospital which I was afraid would give Hudson, and me, time to worry. It was midway through this ride that I received a phone call from Barry that he was taking the earliest flight available and would be at the hospital by the time Hudson was coming out of surgery. YAY!! I am not sure there are words that describe how happy I was for this news. Now I felt like I could breathe!

My friend Kathy kept watch over the other three kids and my friend Robin came with me thankfully, to keep us company. Hudson was not allowed to eat or drink after 8am, but I had packed Robin and I a little lunch to eat as this was going to be a long day. Getting there early helped them to move us along faster, Hudson was immediately taken back for an x-ray and before I knew it we were back in the surgery waiting room. The nurse came in with a hospital gown for Hudson, my friend Robin left the room, but the nurse stayed and asked Hudson to change. He was going, I don't think so! So she eventually leaves and gives us privacy. The anesthesiologist came by and explained everything to us, in English and then they took Hudson back for anesthesia. Next we were visited by Dr. Nico and Dr. Kiki, yes, that's right Nico and Kiki, almost sounds like a comedy duo doesn't it? :) I asked Dr. Nico just how would he be breaking Hudson's arm, to which is says with great flair and dramatic hand motions, that he will grab his arm and break it over his knee. LOL I said, that was what I was afraid of, except I wasn't kidding! I look over to Hudson and he is cracking up, whew! Then Dr. Nico explained that he would be using his hands while using a miniature computerized x-ray machine that would show him where to apply the pressure. He really was a great Dr. and we feel very blessed that The CEO had so obviously taken care of us by providing him. Within 30 minutes from the start of the procedure, Hudson was in recovery and did great! He was in quite a bit of pain post-procedure but after some pain meds that day, he has not experienced any pain since...none! What a blessing and a relief!!

After paying 25 million for the hospital/doctor bill, we left. It was almost 4pm by that time and Hudson was feeling great after the meds and anxious to get back to the big cook off and program that night. Oh...did I mention that was 25 million Rp, not dollars? :) So this whole thing, temporary cast and surgery, anesthesia, and new cast cost about $3000.00 total. I have to say that the first day at the clinic, where he got his temporary cast, handing my credit card over when they say it is two million is a bit disconcerting! Ha! I know they mean Rupiah but still, it sounds like so much! I am on a campaign to get them to drop all the zeros in their money, it just seems so confusing, but no one seems to listen! :) Have you heard that there are three kinds of people in this world? Those who are good at math and those who aren't! Hahaaaa...that is so me! Get it?

Hudson's friend Matthew just let his ticket to "Folgers" go, and is staying at the guesthouse with us, so at least they are still able to hang out and be together. Mind you, we were not intending to stay another week so we are having to get creative to find things to do. Not that Jakarta is short of activities, it's just that activities for 7 people and two taxis everywhere can add up! Fortunately there is a pool at the annex across the street and a mall nearby with great restaurants. There is also a decent mall with a grocery store within walking distance, and we have a well equipped kitchen here, so that is nice.

Thank you all so much for the prayers, emails and messages of encouragement. They have meant so much to us and once again The CEO has proven himself faithful to be with us in the midst of all things. We serve a great G*d!!  In the midst of all of this we were spoiled by the volunteers from Swift Creek B*ptist Ch*rch from VA.  Thank you to all who you who gave of yourselves for us!!

Here are some other pics of our time here:  Oh, and kids did great with their testing! Yay!! :)

The girls getting ready for laser tag!  Haddon lasted one game..she was to hot!

The girls made and gave away these photo prop Valentine's, these were the girl's cards.

These were the boy's cards. They loved going to a Valentine's party!!

The kids had to share a "Love Project" they had done in their community and Marshall created a power point.

They did a great job sharing and despite the broken arm, fun has been had and they loved being with theri friends!!

No comments: