Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Doing what angels only dream of...

This comment was made about us from a former "M" and a current seminary professor who spoke to us for 6 hours today on "M" Anthropology 101. He said that what we are doing by telling those who have never heard about the CEO and his son are "doing what the angels only dream of. Now, I don't think too highly of myself nor do I feel as though we are on some higher plane than others because of what we have been called to do but I thought that statement was so cool. Today's session was so incredibly thought provoking! The more I learn here, the more I realize that there is so much more to learn!

I remember when people asked me what we would be doing here for 8 weeks, I really didn't know. What could they possibly need 8 weeks to teach us.......well, a lot! There is so much to think about when you realize that you are taking the Manual into a place that has no frame of reference for it in their society. So our illustrations, our examples won't translate into their culture so we have to rethink what and how we will take the message to them. Some cultures are shame based, some are guilt based and others are fear based, can you see how you would need different approaches to those societies? How will that factor into our message to them? Then you have all of the cultural issues, do you look them in the eye or not? As a woman is it culturally acceptable for you to talk to a man without your husband present? As Americans we are appalled at that last statement, we should be able to talk to whoever we please and yes we should always look them in the eye! But what if the culture you are going to says if a woman looks a man in the eye that she is being "sexual" or if she talks to a man, without her husband present, that she is desiring a "different" relationship with him, takes on a whole new meaning doesn't it? Lot's to think about and consider. I'm sure I'll be writing more on this later as I process all this info.

Well last night was a rousing celebratory worship experience led by the Hispanic, Latin America team. The whole thing was in Spanish but we did have a translator for the message. The music was lively with a lot of clapping (like I like :)). The kids were a little unsure of what to expect but they really enjoyed themselves. Next week it will be our country combined with a "large South Asian country". It will be even more different as there are many more cultural differences involved.

Have to quit for now, I will write more later if I get a chance.

No comments: